Tuesday, August 3, 2010

INGOTS OF GOLD 35 - Agatha Christie - short stories

teenth century, and I saw the prospect of getting valuable local colour from my host. "I set off that Friday morning from Paddington in high spirits, and looking forward to my trip. The carriage was empty except for one man, who sat facing me in the opposite corner. He was a tall, soldierly-looking man, and I could not rid myself of the impression that somewhere or other I had seen him before. I cudgelled my brains for some time in vain; but at last I had it. My travelling companion was Inspector Badgworth, and I had to run across him when I was doing a series of articles on the Everson disappearance case. "I recalled myself to his notice, and we were soon chatting pleasantly enough. When I told him I was going to Polper-ran he remarked that that was a rum coincidence, because he himself was also bound for that place. I did not like to seem inquisitive, so was careful not to ask him what took him there. Instead, I spoke of my own interest in the place, and mentioned the wrecked Spanish galleon. To my surprise the inspector seemed to know all about it. 'That will be the Juan Fernandez,' he said. 'Your friend won't be the first who has sunk money trying to get money out of her. It is a romantic notion.' "'And probably the whole story is a myth,' I said. 'No ship was ever wrecked there at all.' "'Oh, the ship was sunk there right enough,' said the inspector--'along with a good company of others. You would be surprised if you knew how many wrecks there are on that part of the coast. As a matter of fact, that is what takes me down there now. That is where the Otranto was wrecked about six months ago.' "'I remember reading about it,' I said. 'No lives were lost, I think?' "'No lives were lost,' said the inspector; 'but something to down load complete story http://www.4shared.com/get/ouTsKRL4/Agatha_Christie-uk-Complete_sh.html




0 comments:

Post a Comment