Tuesday, August 3, 2010

THE TUESDAY NIGHT CLUB 7- Agatha Christie - short stories

Joyce was slightly taken aback, but she concealed the fact quickly. "That would be lovely, Miss Marple," she said. "I didn't think you would care to play." "I think it would be very interesting," said Miss Marple, "especially with so many clever gentlemen present. I am afraid I am not clever myself, but living all these years in St. Mary Mead does give one an insight into human nature." "I am sure your cooperation will be very valuable," said Sir Henry, courteously. "Who is going to start?" said Joyce. "I think there is no doubt as to that," said Dr. Pender, "when we have the great good fortune to have such a distinguished man as Sir Henry staying with us" He left his sentence unfinished, making a courtly bow in the direction of Sir Henry. The latter was silent for a minute or two. At last he sighed and recrossed his legs and began: "It is a little difficult for me to select just the kind of thing you want, but I think, as it happens, I know of an instance which fits these conditions very aptly. You may have seen some mention of the case in the papers of a year ago. It was laid aside at the time as an unsolved mystery, but, as it happens, the solution came into my hands not very many days ago. "The facts are very simple. Three people sat down to a supper consisting, amongst other things, of tinned lobster. Later in the night, all three were taken ill, and a doctor was hastily summoned. Two of the people recovered, the third one died." "Ah!" said Raymond approvingly. "As I say, the facts as such were very simple. Death was considered to be due to ptomaine poisoning, a certificate was given to that effect, and the victim was duly buried. But things did not rest at that."




0 comments:

Post a Comment