Tuesday, August 3, 2010

THE TUESDAY NIGHT CLUB I I - Agatha Christie - short stories

The lawyer nodded. "Motive," he said, ticking the point off on his fingers. "Opportunity. As a traveller for a firm of druggists, easy access to the poison." "And a man of weak moral fibre," said the clergyman. Raymond West was staring at Sir Henry. "There is a catch in this somewhere," he said. "Why did you not arrest him?" Sir Henry smiled rather wryly. "That is the unfortunate part of the case. So far all had gone swimmingly, but now we come to the snags. Jones was not arrested because on interrogating Miss Clark she told us that the whole of the bowl of corn-flour was drunk not by Mrs. Jones but by her." "Yes, it seems that she went to Mrs. Jones's room as was her custom. Mrs. Jones was sitting up in bed and the bowl of corn-flour was beside her. "'I am not feeling a bit well, Milly,' she said. 'Serves me right, I suppose, for touching lobster at night. I asked Albert to get me a bowl of corn-flour, but now that I have got it I don't seem to fancy it.' "'A pity,' commented Miss Clark--'it is nicely made too, no lumps. Gladys is really quite a nice cook. Very few girls nowadays seem to be able to make a bowl of corn-flour nicely. I declare I quite fancy it myself, I am that hungry.' "'I should think you were with your foolish ways,' said Mrs. Jones. "I must explain," broke off Sir Henry, "that Miss Clark, alarmed at her increasing stoutness, was doing a course of what is popularly known as 'banting.' "'It is not good for you, Milly, it really isn't,' urged Mrs. Jones. 'If the Lord made you stout he meant you to be stout. You drink up that bowl of corn-flour. It will do you all the good in the world.'




0 comments:

Post a Comment